Thompson Street Footbridge Dominoes
This project is a celebration of the cultural diversity of youth activities in Barry both past and present. The Domino Club was established in Barry between 1947 and 1951, and involved young people in theatre, performance and carnival activities. The series of slate dominoes, edged in mirror-finished stainless steel have photographic portraits of ex-Domino club members as well as today’s youth, in place of the ‘dots’ on the dominoes. A poem about Thompson Street written by one of the Domino Club members is letter cut into the first domino. The artist Lulu Quinn researched the history of the Domino Club and met with current youth members of Area 41 youth club to involve them in making photographic portraits of themselves.
The regeneration of Barry Waterfront has to date seen significant residential development, the creation of a retail hub and the business and innovation quarter. The Thompson Street Footbridge is a key element in reconnecting the main retail centre of Barry with the Waterfront area. Thompson Street runs north-south from Holton Road to the new footbridge, which connects with the Waterfront area. The Holton Road shopping area was the first phase of town centre improvement works, which also included a public art scheme (see http://www.celfwaith.co.uk/node/1223).
The bridge and artwork were formally unveiled on May 10th 2010.